Sunday, June 11, 2017

Sunday Special: Viva il vino spumeggiante

Opera cocktail
I subscribe to John Keats' belief that a recipe for a perfect summer's idyll involves "books, French wine, fruit, fine weather and a little music played out of doors by somebody I do not know." And there's something about the long, languorous evenings of early summer that tempts me to ponder cocktail recipes. It's a matter of puzzlement to me that this is an area where opera has made fewer cultural inroads, it would seem, than in that of food. We have opera cake, we have pêches Melba, tournedos Rossini, etc. etc. So why not cocktails, when so many opera characters, in so many situations, invite everyone to drink? I first discovered this dearth when the Beloved Flatmate and I were planning a party, and several years on, the situation seems to be fundamentally unchanged.

A few opera houses, at least, have embraced the idea of opera-inspired tippling. The Met has several themed drinks on their menu; "Lulu's Disposable Lover" might be my new favorite cocktail name. Seattle Opera also commissioned a series of themed drink/food pairings, of which my favorite is the Carmen cocktail, with vodka, cointreau, and champagne. (The Attila sounds appropriately dangerous.) Beyond this, I have found several delights, but fewer than I expected.


Among the riches bestowed on the world by 1920s Paris is, apparently, this gin-based opera cocktail, which sounds remarkably decadent, and also like something I would drink. Fellow opera aficionado Bob Kingston contributed the idea of a Eugene Onegin: 1.5 oz cranberry vodka, 1.5 tsp Cointreau, 2 oz fresh blood orange juice, 2 lemon twists for garnish. Fill shaker with cracked ice. Add vodka, Cointreau, and juice. Pour into a sugar-rimmed martini glass. (I've made this with regular vodka and a mixture of cranberry and orange juice.)

Otherwise... we are left with renaming things. Make a Sazerac and call it Porgy & Bess; rechristen your Old Fashioneds after Papa Germont. If you're having brunch, serve Bellinis and Turn-of-the-Screwdrivers. Shakespeare-themed cocktails, like Othello's green-eyed monster, could always be served with the operas they inspired. But this feels a little like cheating, and also like ignoring the Verdian spin on the bard's plots.

So, Gentle Readers, here is where I entreat you: what opera-themed cocktails do you know, or might you devise? Have you ever bought a bottle of wine for its opera-related label? If so, what was the result? I recently bought this rosé because it was christened after the insouciant Manon, and was not disappointed.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry no one gave you a cocktail. I'm afraid I drink all my booze straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EN LUGAR DE OBTENER UN PRÉSTAMO, TENGO ALGO NUEVO
    ¡Obtenga $ 5,500 USD todos los días, durante seis meses!

    Mira como funciona
    ¿Sabes que puedes hackear cualquier máquina de tarjetas de crédito con una tarjeta de crédito pirateada?
    Decídase antes de aplicar, trato directo ...

    ¡Solicite una tarjeta de crédito en blanco ahora y obtenga millones en una semana !: contáctenos
    por correo electrónico :: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com}

    Tenemos tarjetas de crédito especialmente programadas que pueden usarse para hackear tarjetas de crédito. Máquinas
    A nivel nacional, las tarjetas de crédito se pueden usar para retirar en cualquier tarjeta de crédito o máquinas de deslizamiento, en
    Tiendas y máquinas POS. Vendemos estas tarjetas a todos nuestros clientes e interesados.
    compradores en todo el mundo, la tarjeta de crédito tiene un límite de retiro diario de $ 5,500 en cualquier máquina de tarjetas de crédito
    y un límite de gasto de hasta $ 50,000 en tiendas dependiendo del tipo de tarjeta
    usted ordena para. Las tarjetas de crédito también se pueden utilizar en cualquier otro ciberataque {Servicios}, estamos a su disposición en cualquier momento y cualquier día.

    Aquí están nuestras listas de precios para las tarjetas de crédito:

    Las tarjetas que retiran $ 5,500 por día cuestan $ 200 USD
    Las tarjetas que retiran $ 10,000 por día cuestan $ 850 USD
    Las tarjetas que retiran $ 35,000 por día cuestan $ 2,200 USD
    Las tarjetas que retiran $ 50,000 por día cuestan $ 5,500 USD
    Las tarjetas que retiran $ 100,000 por día cuestan $ 8,500 USD


    decídase antes de aplicar, trato directo !!!

    El precio incluye los gastos de envío y los cargos, ordene ahora: contáctenos a través de
    dirección de correo electrónico :: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this type of post.

    ReplyDelete

Start a conversation!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...